Re: [RTTY] The more RTTY I do, the more fun I have...

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>,RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The more RTTY I do, the more fun I have...
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 08:33:00 -0500
At 11:46 PM 2/6/2016, Bill Turner wrote:

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 21:46:01 -0600, Michael wrote:

> I was perplexed that I heard no RTTY 80 kHz up
>on 40, where I was expecting it...where is everyone?

REPLY:

This anomaly on 40 is a result of the JA band restrictions which were
in place for many years. The JAs were limited to 7030-7045 so that's
where everyone congregated, even when working non JAs. A few years ago
the restrictions were eased and now JAs are permitted to use 7030-7045
for all RTTY QSOs and 7045-7100 for overseas QSOs only.

Old habits die hard and that is why many stations are still found in
the lower part of the band.

I would suggest we abandon the old frequencies and move up to 7080 and
up for two reasons:  Consistency with other bands, but mainly to avoid
QRMing the CW ops in the lower regions. RTTY operation down low, while
perfectly legal, has been a bone of contention with the CW boys for
years and now there is no reason for it to continue.

Your thoughts?

73, Bill W6WRT

If the JA's can't work each other above 7045, I think those who run will normally remain down there.

Jerry W4UK