Re: [RTTY] Flex RTTY AFSK Only

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Flex RTTY AFSK Only
From: Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:26:25 +0100
Hi Chen and others.
I could empirically confirm conclusion from what you wrote Chen.

I owned some ICOM transceiver, a flex 3000, and now a small batch of
K3. Not anyway thinking to move on K3s.

The TX side of those transceivers is the different slice of the same cake.

The way as other stations pitched on my same QRG when in Contesti
RUNning is the empirical metering. That's is a variable value, not
only checking how much peoples are coming too much near by. There are
side effects regarding common parts of the pursued paths, i.e. N-to-W,
and relative positions on the world map.

PA wen't unchanged as a ACOM 2000 and a OM-3500. Well lowered to
operate with heavy duty cycle 24/48 hours. MS/2 or SO2R.

ICOM AFSK is poor, awfully large, with MMTTY and its standard DSP
filters for tone generating.

Peoples went far away from me.

ICOM FSK is a little bit better curing the audio baseband harmonics
but still having its set of added conversion harmonics.

Peoples went far away from me. That's the same with older and newest
transceivers.

FLEX-RADIO 3000, AFSK only. Nice shaping TX channel with user
modifiable TX filter. With the 170 Hz shift I'd used 400/450 HZ tight
TX filter. Harmonics and tones stayed well within a respectable mask.
I could move people away from may QRG - the RX filer of 400/500 Hz
bandwidth - simply enlarging the TX filter side from where thay had
effectively jumping on me.

Peoples start jumping on me, but I had somewhat a cure for the more
easy case. I mean a cure for cases when someone was coming +/- 500 Hz
from my tones. And, of course the interfering signal wasn't to large
or degraded.

Peoples went someway away from me.

K3 first FSK microcode. FSK almost as for ICOM in TX, the same
proximity effect when in RUN. But there was no cure shaping the TX
filer, nor real time, nor offline.

Peoples went not so away from me.

K3 latest FSK microcode. Well reputed tone generating shaper into
their audio DSP, i.e. predistortion. AFAIK was no cure shaping the TX
filer, nor real time, nor offline.

Peples are constatly coming on my signal. I have had to adopt antenna
patterns and choice as to maintain Northern and Eastern EU into my TX
path patterns. I.E. stacking verticals a or Yagi when doing NA and SA
with Yagi pointed those directions. I have to made clear for EU that I
am there when having US RUNs. It's more easy when having JA RUNs. Path
patterns are fringing North EU and just over Eastern EU.

I am now on K3 latest firmware DSP tone generation. Incidentally this
firmware add some other features (bugs cures but formally dressed :-)
that are welcomed.

Now there are more and more way to combine application and technology cahnges:
2Tone TX base shaping for AFSK, that's is better tan standard MMTTY
tone shaping;
2Tone other FSK manipulation metods;
2Tone specific hardware addon;
MMTTY TX tones shaping with modern multi-core CPU.

But still all the people there hook their radio with any kind of
"garbage" and there is no response when cracklings from more than one
KHz away. there is no way to mitigate that problem, when someone that
doesn't listen me due to path and his effective local RX filtering
jumps that near or more ... with standard poor and blurred tones. I
just change my QRG to keep my old tennis ball.
That's anyway a good exercise. I am pretty sure that each one of us is
doing something wrong and something better, I couldn't not cast the
first stone.

It's just an empirical view.

            73 de iw1ayd