[RTTY] Re Gary AL9A

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re Gary AL9A
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 19:29:20 -0000
Hi all,

Such a shame! I am quite shocked and deeply saddened to hear that Gary has
passed on.

I actually got to meet him and his family in 2013. They were on a cruise,
which had a stop in Guernsey for a half day, and after asking about
pre-organised trips (and the high cost of such!), my wife and I turned up at
the harbour in our cars, and took them on a small tour of the island,
finishing up at the hotel across the road from our home for a spot of lunch.
We never did get time to have a quick trip into my shack, as they were due
to board at 1pm, but in the end, we could have done so, as the queue for the
liberty boats was very long and slow.

We spent a very pleasing Saturday morning with Gary and his family, and I
know they enjoyed their time here.
Gary and I had a good chat about radios, RTTY, contesting and DX'ing,
although other topics crept in, as I had his XYL and one grandchild in my
car. Penny escorted his daughter and her other child in her car.

Not only was Gary a very knowledgeable chap, he was also very likeable, and
it was as if we had known each other for years, which in a way we had,
albeit only via the medium of HF RTTY.

It was an honour to have met you my friend, sleep well....

Phil GU0SUP

---