Re: [RTTY] rckskimmer, still worth setting up?

To: list@on5mf.be, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] rckskimmer, still worth setting up?
From: "Kermit \(aka Ken\) via RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:38:51 -0400
Hi Jurgen,

I use the v3.2 RCKskimmer in RTTY contests.  I was going to upgrade to  the
new VE3NEA RTTY skimmer server, but the Quicksilver QS1R is no longer
manufactured and I decided to wait for its replacement.  I know there are
other
SDRs to use, but I'll wait.

In the meantime I also have old gear lying around that works fine with the
RCKskimmer and since most of my RTTY contesting is single band, it does an
adequate job.  I need to be smart about the scanning range as it expands
and contracts during the contest and readjust the RCKskimmer accordingly.
When I enter on all bands, I can usually skim two bands, again paying
attention  to the open bands and frequency ranges as the hours pass.

There are some problems with "DE" stations, but I have not found them  to
be objectionable.

Even with its inefficiencies, running my own RCKskimmer is better than
using local skimmers (KM3T, 55 km and K1TTT, 146 km) who have better antennas
than I do and hear a lot of stuff I don't.  Plus there are spotlight
effects where we don't hear the same stations.  If I can skim it, I can  hear
it
(and maybe work it).

There are problems running a skimmer on very small property.   There's no
way I can skim and transmit at the same time.  My whole station,  including
antennas, is in a very small volume.  I use a splitter to break  out a line
to the skimmer receiver from my FT-2000 receiving antenna loop, with  a loss
of about 4.5 db.  This loss usually isn't a problem and I can  disable the
loop by hitting one button.

I Telnet the data from the skimmer system to my main rig via my home Wi-Fi
system, just as if it was any other skimmer out there.  The reasoning is I
eventually want to relocate the skimmer to another nearby location so  I
can skim continuously (without interfering with myself) and access it via
Telnet.  One more future project when I get an SDR.

This has worked well for me but I'm hoping I can upgrade to the new skimmer
 server soon.  "Soon" being undefined and indefinite.

Also, you can use the RCKskimmer for PSK.

Outside of contests I usually just hook up to the local skimmers using the
VE7CC cluster.

73,
Ken, AB1J

In a message dated 4/17/2016 08:53:34 Coordinated Universal Time,