[RTTY] USB serial port adapters

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] USB serial port adapters
From: Lee <ham@n0sq.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:16:56 -0600
Now for my next question: why is FSK RTTY difficult when using USB serial port adapters? One article I read was saying that 45 baud rtty is too slow for the adapter while another said that they don't handle 5 bit characters. From my research POSIX allows you to specify 5 bit characters. Anyway, I'm writing a C program under Linux and I have successfully got an adapter with a PL2303 chip to send FSK RTTY at 45 baud. I had to write code for a custom bit rate since 45 baud isn't a standard rate. Anyway, my project is still WIP, though. I've noticed that there's EXTFSK for MMTTY and I've tried it - works for me - but I want a program that runs on Linux. If the developers of FLDIGI ever decide to incorporate FSK into their code or if another developer puts out a native Linux FSK RTTY program, I'll drop my project. I don't want to build an adapter to convert audio tones (AFSK) to FSK (pseudo-FSK). Hopefully nobody thinks I'm being critical of any developers - I just want to know what's going on and why.

N0SQ