[RTTY] little big K3 issue

To: REFL-RTTY <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] little big K3 issue
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 22:52:46 -0700
For reasons I am not clear on... the most recent version of K3/K3s firmware
disables feeding the monitor sidetone to the Line Out.

What this means is that if you expect to see your monitor tones decoded in
your clone windows, and you have this firmware version, you won't see the
decode.

Seeing the decode is one of the things I look for during my station setup
to feel sure things are working. Today I wasn't seeing the decode like I
normally do, and spent a bit of time chasing it down.

Hopefully this email will save some of you some trouble.

If you find yourself in this position, there is a workaround if you want
the monitor back in Line Out. Start up the K3 utility and send this command
string:

!D4xx;

That's start with an exclamation, and ends with a semicolon. "xx" is a
hexadecimal number that sets the volume level. After a quick experiment I
found that 40 set a usable level.

Hope this helps - have fun in the NAQP! 73 jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com