[RTTY] Repeat CQ

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Repeat CQ
From: Tom Martin <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:41:18 -0600
It was most disconcerting to hear a continuous CQ on 14.084 that lasted almost an hour. A WA2 called CQ an never came back to anyone. The CQ Repeat Time was set to about 10 seconds. At first, I thought that he was doing this for a bathroom break and he wanted to hold the frequency. Next, after 10 minutes of his CQing, I thought that he left the shack to go to the store for snacks. After 30 minutes, I became concerned that he had become a SK and died at the keyboard.

I even called CQ and worked several stations on his frequency. I thought that at some point, he would have called me to say that the frequency was in use. It never happened. Is this an example of SO2R gone bad? Did he forget his second radio?

If anyone knows what happened, I'd appreciate an update.

73, Tom W8JWN