Re: [RTTY] Rainwater and connectors

To: "rtty@contesting.com >> RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Rainwater and connectors
From: Thom <ki8w@ki8w.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:14:18 +0000
Actually my antenna system is not quite 6 months old and I seal my coax connectors very well. I use Super 88 electrical tape in a couple of layers, then coax seal over that then a couple more layers of Super 88. That should be good enough.

Yep, I know about re-orientating the antenna to try and reduce the interaction of my antennas and the roof but I do not have that option. I live in a mobile home park. There are other homes close by. There are very few trees and I have none on my lot. My lot is 45 feet wide and 100 feet long. My mobile home takes up 32% of that space and runs East to West. I am not about to start string wires over the top of my neighbors homes so I am stuck with the orientation I currently have and the roof. Some of my neighbors homes have metal roofs just like mine.

My antennas are also on the low side. The high point is only 30 feet, again because I only have 100 feet to work with. My mast is basically in the middle of that 100 feet.

To me, this is what makes Amateur Radio so much fun. Finding out what works and what doesn't given the limitations I have with space. My next project is a vertical or two. We shall see how that works.

I am also exploring the possibility of relocating my station to a remote site and running it all over the internet.

As for spraying water on the roof...it is 28 degrees outside right now. The hose is stored for the winter.

Anyway everything has dried out and all my antennas have that nice 1:1 swr ratio.

Everybody have a great weekend.

73

Thom KI8W