Re: [RTTY] K3S with AFSK

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K3S with AFSK
From: "David G3YYD" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:26:56 -0000
Jim

I use K3 with the "old" style interface. I have two K3. I have always used
low tone AFSK well actually 2Tone DOOK as it performs slightly better
(0.4dB) than AFSK and is narrower too. I listened on one K3 to the other K3
transmitting. The signal has no audio second harmonic that I can detect and
that means it going to be at least -90dB down on the wanted signal.

I tried to overdrive the K3 line in by turning the K3 gain to the max and
the same with the PC sound card. Again I could not hear any second harmonic
so input stage overload is not a problem either.

If you are using something like MMTTY to generate your AFSK then do switch
on the K3 AFSK TX filter using config AFSK TX to ensure the TX bandwidth is
definitely controlled. The MMTTY default setting results in a wide TX
signal.

73 David G3YYD