[RTTY] PORTABLE RTTY What do you do when you need to charge & power 2 it

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] PORTABLE RTTY What do you do when you need to charge & power 2 items yet 1 USB
From: COURYHOUSE--- via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 18:23:51 -0400

What do you do when you need to charge  and power  2 items yet only on one
usb?

A Portable Software Defied Radio and RTTY listening  post!

Me and a few old High School  friends   have  Ematic  little 8 inch laptop
2 in one things that we  want  to use  with  software  defined  radio...
dongles.  (I also have a Hundai 8 inch 2 in one too as well as  the  Ematic.
I prefer the EMATIC  for  travel or possible field  day use as the keyboard
clamps snugly over the  tablet... and it  magnets together with hardware
contacts to the table.   Alas same  problem ...  only one  USB Port only.)

( for those that do no know about these they are the size of a  large flash
 drive and give you a radio accessible  by   your  computer soul and screen
500 khz  1.2 ghz for 20  bucks)

Some of us like to decode radio teletype   RTTY  and  use MMTTY software.

Here is the outline of things to consider
with the problem being presented..

1-   Ematic and may  tablets and cheap laptops  have  only one   USB
port... yet  you need to be able to  keep  them  charged

2- You need a  USB to go to  the  Software  Defined  Radio  Dongle that is
how the  dongle and the  Ematic communicate

3-  realize  in a natural setup  the SDR Dongle's  USB port, draws power
from the USB  port  on whatever  computer you are connected to. (no problem
if it is bag Dell tower or something  BUT! maybe  too much  or  enough  to
really  run  down a Ematic).

4- It would be ideal to  have both radio and Emaitc  communicate and  the
Ematic able to draw power and charge at same time and  the  UDB SDR radio
dongle   is getting external power.

5-  A not  so nice but if all else is impossible   would be  to have the
Ematic communicating though its USB port  but  charged abut also  NOT
supplying power to the dongle... the   dongle  would  be powered  off  some
sort of
adapter/ wire  harness/ kludege box and  cable  ??? ( Lets really  try   for
 option 4 as  you may only be able to run this rig  for 3  hours before
having to de-cable it and  plug the EMATIC in to recharge)  {{Pretend I did not
mention this and concentrate on item 4 on this  list  <<GRIN!>>

6 -  Ematic  link  the  frys  link ( we  all got then between 50 adn 60
bucks with promo codes!) http://www.frys.com/product/8573369
The  EMATIC   B/H Photo link
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1197614-REG/ematic_8_ewt826bk_32gb_tablet.html?_escaped_fragment_=

7- Link to the $20 radio dongle at Amazon with some  details  if  you want
to join in the  fun too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0129EBDS2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8-  Here is the software that  runs it and  give you  panoramic  display on
screen etc... http://cubicsdr.com/  but   goggle  for  more out there and
there is a lot.

9- To decode RTTY MMTTY Software is excellent and runs well on the  EMATIC.
MMTTY SB RTTY Software by JE3HHT  can be found at:
http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmtty.php

FINAL POINT -  But... there is a  chance I did not just look  for enough
and there is a 8 dollar made in  china  cable that  does this? If  so please
slap be  alongside the head and  link  please?

Thanks  Ed Sharpe  Archivist   for  SMECC