Re: [RTTY] Intel NUC, anyone?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Intel NUC, anyone?
From: "David G3YYD" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 09:20:33 -0000
Using EXTFSK(64) or for that matter 2Tone FSK using bit diddling of a COM
port control line is one way of making sure you get extra errors on the far
ends decode and being asked to repeat.

Windows is not a real time operating system and so there is substantial
timing jitter. The transmitted signal will have some bits that are longer
than they should be and others that are shorter than they should be. This
will lead to decode errors at the receiver.

This can be avoided by using AFSK (if you use MMTTY AFSK then make sure the
TX bandpass filtering is on and tap is set to 512). 2Tone has its filtering
on all the time. This will also ensure your signal is much narrower than
most radios FSK signal. You fellow RTTY enthusiasts will appreciate your
narrow TX bandwidth and they will get better copy of you too.

Having invested in all that expensive kit, you really should radiate a
signal that is narrow and has the lowest decode error rate.

73 David G3YYD