[RTTY] "RTTY Sweepstakes" 1960-1975

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] "RTTY Sweepstakes" 1960-1975
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 11:21:44 -0500
>From 1960-1975 or so QST announced and showed results for the "World-Wide
RTTY Sweepstakes".

I think for at least some of the years the "RTTY Sweepstakes" was actually
sponsored by CARTG, the Canadian RTTY group, although rules and results
were published in QST.

In the early years it was kinda like CQ WW RTTY is today. It allowed US-US
and US-DX and DX-DX contacts with both states and countries as mults, and
work once per band not once per contest.

For at least the later years, they used a "zone chart" to attempt to
compute scores based on distance. I reproduce the 1974 zone chart and rules
here:  http://n3qe.org/rttyss1974.png

The distance-based points they used in the zone chart kinda reminds me of
current Makrothen.

Tim N3QE