Re: [RTTY] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>, RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:50:31 +0000
Depends on the configuration of Unix. Modern Windows. i.e. everything since NT,
uses a priority ordered event driven kernel, with equal priority processes
scheduled in a round robin fashion (think timesharing). I believe the same is
what is currently in favor for most of the commonly used Unix kernels.
However, a LOT of the RTOS are based on Unix kernels, 99% of them most people
have never heard of. Usually found in specialty devices that use embedded
systems.

I would consider DOS as close to a real time system, much like RT-11 was 40
years ago.  The operating system can be used to essentially just bootstrap the
application and then the application can do whatever it wants without ever
returning control to the OS. Windows CE, now much out of favor, is an RTOS, but
not an especially useful one for general purpose computing if you ask me.

Al
AB2ZY