[RTTY] Way to run a pileup - H40YM

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Way to run a pileup - H40YM
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:09:17 -0500
I clocked H40YM over 10 minutes this morning working split RTTY on 40M. I
calculated 180 Q's per hour - a very nice RTTY rate. Perhaps the best RTTY
DXpedition rate I've heard.

I think H40YM had previously been on FT8 but I'm sure he wasn't getting
nearly as good a rate on FT8 as on RTTY. Of course for a
less-skilled-at-RTTY DX operator maybe it would be the other way around.

The RTTY pileup (US and JA callers) was exceptionally well behaved and only
2kc wide.

I got the impression that H40YM was "rewarding" ops who made short rather
than long calls which is a clear rate advantage over simplex contest
operations. He would usually be coming back to somebody's call in under 10
seconds and sometimes as short as 5 seconds.

Do we have any statistics on peak split RTTY rates from, for example, K1N
Navassa a couple years back?

How many DXpeditions are working RTTY from a waterfall with multi-signal
decoders, vs actually tuning around the pileup with a single-signal
decoder? I've heard some working from the waterfall with problems when
folks jostle around their calling frequency (I know that I do that) and
they have QSY'ed from where the DX found them several minutes ago. Real
rate-killer. But a more clued in operator working from the waterfall could
do better.

Tim N3QE