SD-User

[SD-User] Access for visually impaired users

To: <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [SD-User] Access for visually impaired users
From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@hartgen.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:53:51 -0000
Hi

I am the Product Development Manager for our company, T&t Consultancy Ltd.  One
of the things we do is to create access to applications for visually impaired
people using screen-reading technology.

We have been asked by a potential user of the SD application to create some
script (configuration files) so that he can use his screen-reader, JAWS for
Windows, with SD.

Currently, SD (in my very limited experience of the program) does not function
at all well with JAWS.  For example, when you use the cursor keys to review the
text which has been written, JAWS will not vocalise the text.  None of the
options are announced correctly so the user does not know what is on screen,
etc.

Creating scripts for anyone is a costly exercise and frankly we will only be
able to script a small part of the program on a bespoke basis for this user.
It seems to me that it is far more productive to ensure the program is
accessible for everyone from a developmental standpoint rather than us creating
scripts.

Questions:
1. Is anyone using the program with JAWS for Windows?
2. Is anyone using the program with any screen-reader?
3. Does anyone please have details of the author of the program so that we
might enter into a dialog about making applications accessible to Assistive
Technology users?

Thank you.

Brian Hartgen