SD-User

[SD-User] RDX contest & SD.

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: [SD-User] RDX contest & SD.
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:22:23 +0000 (GMT)
Having yesterday reported some logging problems during this contest, I now need
to retract those comments and eat some humble pie.

Paul, as helpful as ever, took a look at my .ALL file and pointed out that I
had loaded the RDA mlt list instead of the RDX list - DOH. All I can say by way
of an explanation is that I must have been wearing the xyl's glasses at the
time! - Sorry Paul.

Actually the oblasts in RDA are the same as RDX, albeit in a slightly different
format so I have edited the log and submitted it as I couldn't face a full
repeat of entering up a new log in 'post contest' mode. It's got two chances
with the Robot.

As far as the actual contest was concerned I hadn't planned a serious entry and
didn't study the rules too closely, my objective was to make as many oblasts as
possible. The weather was not too great and the xyl decided that she didn't
want to go out after all. I had not done this one before but once involved
realised that it was quite compelling with lots of activity with something for
everyone. I didn't realise that countries were also counters and, having loaded
the wrong mlt file, countries were not flagged up on screen to alert me. A
manual check of the log shows more than 500 of the almost 900 contacts were 10
pointers with Russian stn's, making an average 8 pt's per qso.

I made 178 Oblast mults but only 103 countries across the four bands. I was
quite surprised to learn that the total score is just short of 2M. Many of the
countries I did work called me, had I not passed so many by I could have got
quite a decent score.

Must make sure that I get the logging right for next year.

73  Brian   5B4AIZ.