SD-User

Re: [SD-User] Rig Control and Manual Band Change

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Rig Control and Manual Band Change
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 14:12:44 +0100
On 03/09/2012 12:16, Timothy McKnight wrote:

running Vista, I installed an FTDI serial to USB
converter and connected my CT-17 interface between the rig and computer.  I
could see that the serial converter was assigned to COM30 port.  However,
SD's PORTS command allows only ports 1 to 24 to be used for rig control.
From the laptop's Hardware Manager I saw that ports COM3 to COM29 were 'in
use,' meaning my only choices were COM1 and COM2.

What's been described is a Vista issue because,
quite clearly, not all "ports" between COM3 and
COM29 were actually in use, regardless of what
Vista indicated.

I will extend SD's range of serial ports, above 24,
for the next update.  Note than N1MM, the leading
free contest logger, allows only ports 1 to 8.

I then laboriously found
a way to re-assign the serial converter to COM2.  I changed rig control
port in SD to 2 but SD wouldn't connect with the rig.  I then re-assigned
the converter to COM1 and SD rig control to 1 but still SD would not
connect with the rig.

So, SD is to blame for everything?  :-)

In frustration I gave up and decided to go with manual band entry on SD.
Then I found another problem--the same problem I had three months ago with
SD v15.61.  Sometimes SD would not recognise a manual band-change command
(entering '20M' or '40M' etc in the callsign field) and remain in the same
band.

I've tested this in the last few minutes, with
rig control disabled, and it appears to be working
correctly.   The B14, B20 etc. command are
alternatives - also working.

Sometimes I would catch this but sometimes not, so some of my QSOs
have the wrong band recorded.

If you know which are which, use the F1 or F2
keys (Caps Lock Off) to edit the bands.

At least once, entering '20M' has taken me
to QSO number 20 without me noticing.

Can you be certain that 20M was entered and not
just 20 (followed by Enter), because that will
take to to QSO 20 - ready for an edit.

 Entering a new callsign overwrote
the callsign already recorded for QSO number 20--more lost points.

When editing a QSO, Minus will abandon the edit,
regardless of what you have changed, and return
the cursor to the logging line.

I have been using SD for 5 years now and like many of its features.  It is
no longer 'free'

What is that supposed to mean?  Are you suggesting
it should always have been free?  Should all
software be free?

and yet I seem to have more problems with it than other
'free' software that I use.  Is it possible to fix these problems or is it
just me?

Who knows?  :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI