[SECC] NAQP CW

Subject: [SECC] NAQP CW
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:37:31 -0400
Hi Guys:

I really enjoyed NAQP CW this weekend.  I almost doubled my score from
last August with only 45 more minutes operating time.  Conditions must
have been better and the FT1000MP may have helped some, although I did
not use the second VFO at all, as the rate didn't really fall until the
last hour.  Antennas were the same as last year.

Only two six banders:  VP5Y (KD4D) and N6ZZ.  10 meters was really open
only to TX, FL, NM, CA and KP4.  CA and NM were pretty weak.  A few
others were worked scatter on QSY from other bands, but most of those
attempts were unsuccessful.  K4IQJ was loud on groundwave.

There was QRN on 160 and less on the other bands.  I worked as far as NM
and VP5 and heard K6AW, but no QSO.  Worked W1, W9, W0, and VE3 also.
That is with a random wire end fed.

DX stations in addition to VP5Y were DJ8SW, ZS6EZ, 3 XE stations, NP3A
and KP4Y.  I missed MT and WY and DE on all bands.  Also KH6 and KL7.
Didn't hear or work VE1, VE9, VY2, VE6, VE8/VY1/VY0.

Between family committments, I operated 8 hours and 42 minutes.  Really
more than I had expected to be able to.

SECC team members worked:

K9AY (3), W4OC (5) (missed 28), AA4S (2), W4NTI (2), AA4LR, NJ8J.  I
forgot who else was on the teams.  K4IQJ (5) )missed 160, K4OGG, KA9EKJ,
K2UFT (2), AA4Z, AA4TT, N8LM.  M/2 stations NJ4U (K4EA and K4TW) (3) and
K4NO (3).  Also worked K4PTT, Duane in GA.  Maybe he is a prospective
member.

Didn't do a lot of CQing without answers. Did a lot of S&P and felt that
signal must have been pretty good since didn't have a lot of waiting to
do.  The QSK really works good on this rig.  Only left  one frequency
without working the station.  That was WE9V on 80 who was in a terrible
frequency fight with W0UA who was trying to move W7HS to Chad's exact
frequency and wouldn't QSY at all and Chad wouldn't give in.  Kept
asking George to move and he wouldn't.  It was ugly and Chad couldn't
hear me over George.

Here is the result:

160        35        24
 80       110        37
 40       142        45
 20       182        47
 15        75         32
 10        16           8
ALL    560       193    -  108,080.

Hope everyone else enjoyed the contest also.  73, John, K4BAI.

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com