[SECC] Contest rules

Subject: [SECC] Contest rules
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:03:55 -0500
Now that the contest season is winding down, the usual discussion
of changing rules has come up...Non-US stations wishing they had
extra time in the CQWW 160 contests, contest exhanges, changing the
definition of "assisted," SO2R, etc.

Is there any consensus among SECC members on any issue that we want
to bring to the attention of contest organizers?
___________________

I have no big issues on my personal agenda.  Taken as a whole, the
most popular contests represent a wide range of rules, bands, DX or
domestic emphasis, exchange formats and lengths.  In general, I am
not in favor of making contest more "alike." The long SS exchange is
part of the game, so is the QSY rule in Sprint and the ability to
last 48 hours in CQWW and ARRL DX.

I applaud the Stew Perry founders for creating a contest that changes
geographical influences, and the WPX sponsors for experimenting with
T/S and Newbie categories. Perhaps there are some other ways to make
small changes that maintain variety and encourage more participation.

Although I have implemented SO2R at my station, I would like to see
one contest reduce the SO2R impact by having a 10-minute rule or other
band-change rule for single-ops. (The Field Day not-a-contest is the
only one I can think of that does it now.)  This seems like a logical
response to changing times, like the Assisted category and power level
classes. Does anyone else care?

...thoughts for a Friday,

73, Gary
K9AY