[SECC] Nomination Proposal

Subject: [SECC] Nomination Proposal
From: jpryor@arches.uga.edu (Jay Pryor)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:41:15 -0400
SECC members:

As you know, the South East Contest Club has been selected as one of the
U.S. clubs to nominate participants for WRTC-2002, which will be held in
Finland.

I have been trying to decide on the best procedure to follow so that we may
select ten nominees.  As an indication of the strength of our club, we have
three members who are past WRTC participants and one who would like to be
considered for 2002.  Two of our past participants have indicated their
interest, and I have sent an email to the third but have not yet received a
response.

A couple of days ago I sent messages to the presidents of each of the U.S.
clubs that was asked for nominations by WRTC-2002 organizers.  Most clubs
are still formulating their selection process, some are putting together a
selection committee and some are simply are going to cast votes on their
reflector.

This reflector is our best means of communicating with one another, and it
is by nature an open forum.  The possibility exists that some members might
be uncomfortable with everyone knowing how they are voting.  We do not want
this process to be at all divisive, and we want everyone to vote for the
contesters whom they believe are simply the best.

Therefore, I propose that we vote by means of email only to me, the club
president, and to K9AY, the president-elect.  Gary and I will serve as a
check for each other and we will keep member votes strictly
confidential.  I don't feel like we need to restrict or put limitations of
any kind on who you vote for.  If you think our four members are four of
the best five contest operators in the east, then so be it.  If you don't
believe any of the four is among the top five, that's OK too.

I don't want anyone to send in their "official" vote at this time -- we
have until June 15 and I'm sure we will be hearing a great deal about
candidates and the selection process in the weeks ahead.  What I would like
is the comments of the club members and a discussion of whether you think
this is a fair process for us to follow to make our selection.

We are now a fairly large club.  A count of the membership list shows we
have 100 members.  Many of you monitor the reflector but seldom share your
thoughts.  Please let us all know if think this is the best process for us
to follow.  If someone has a better way of doing it, I would love to hear it!

73,

Jay, K4OGG
SECC President