[SECC] Virus notices received are false!!!

Subject: [SECC] Virus notices received are false!!!
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:24:51 -0400
Ed K4SB told me last week he was getting fake virus notices.  Yesterday I
starting these also.
Some are from ISP's that say delivery failed.  I got 20 of these just today.
The sysop needs to look at the whole address not just the prime address and
he or she will see these come from someone else.  I also get fake notices
from at least two addresses to e-,mail addresses I have never addressed
unless they are on a reflector such as sedxc@contesting.com.   Two messages
even contained the klez virus which Norton caught as always.

Here is what is going on....since Norton and other anti virus programs catch
the Klez virus (its an old one) someone has derived a scheme to send
messages with a log e-mail address that appears to be mine or your address.
They use the mailing list from the reflectors at random using one of the
broadcast e-mail spam programs.  So If someone tells you in a private e-mail
that you have this virus..run norton anti virus to make sure but I am
betting you are clean.

Please make sure (no matter what browser you use) that you have an up to
date anti virus software...better safe than uncertain!

73 Dave K4JRB