[SECC] Re: CW, what else?

Subject: [SECC] Re: CW, what else?
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:44:18 -0400
Hi Archie:  I don't know about results from the RAC contest.  Probably
they have a webpage.  If I see any notice posted about results, I will
drop you a note.

I really can't improve on what you have already read about the Sprint.
Just don't be discouraged.  At the beginning of each band run, the
really big signals will jump on most of the CQers and it will seem like
you make a lot of calls and everyone else gets the QSOs.  If that
happens, you should find a frequency and call CQ.  It works out better
(so you can make two QSOs on a frequency, rather than one) if you can
answer a station and then stay on the frequency for the next caller.
But, if everyone else is beating you to the CQers, then you call CQ on a
clear frequency (probably high in the band or lower where I can't go)
and you will get calls.  Then try some more answers to CQs.  After the
initial feeding frenzy, even very big signals will make some CQs that
aren't answered at all, much less that aren't answered by a big station
that would run over your signal.  If you aren't having much luck on one
band, try another band.  But the ideal thing with single op one radio is
to start on 20 (or maybe start on 40 for only 15 or 20 minutes max) and
move down to 40 after an hour and 20 to 30 minutes, and on down to 80
with 1 hour 20 minutes or so to go in the contest.  You may want to
check back on 20 just before going to 80 to pick up any lingering
western or northern mults you may have missed.  KL7 stations, for
example, won't do much on 80 and will have a hard time on 40, so you may
find them calling on 20 even after everyone else has gone to the lower
bands.

So, typically start on 20, go to 40 when the rate drops on 20, take a
short look back at 20, and finish on 80.  If the rate drops
dramactically on 80 (it probably won't since you have a good signal on
80) or if 80 is covered with QRN, go back to 40 toward the end and see
if the rate picks up.

Since the multipliers do not count per band, but once for the contest,
you want to be on each band to work the mults there, but the real
function of changing bands is to keep the rate up.  You really can't
chase multipliers that you need due to the QSY rule, except if you hear
a needed multiplier answer someone else's CQ.  Then if you miss him on
your first call, you might consider CQing on the first clear spot in the
direction that you think he is moving his receiver.  Most guys tune from
low to high, so your next CQ should be up from the frequency where you
missed the mult.  Sometimes, you will notice someone is moving down
rather than up or you may know that some top ops (including W4AN, who
will sign K4AAA in this contest), then your  CQ should be lower in
frequency.

I will copy this to the reflector in case my random thoughts about NA
Sprint CW might be of help to someone else.

Look forward to working you on two or three bands Saturday night.

Yes, I was surprised how well my borrowed mobile effort did in GQP
compared to N4PN.  Paul had Martha driving him and he didn't quit when
the solar flare wiped out conditions on Saturday afternoon like I did.

I feel reasonably sure that I was the weakest of the mobiles and was
particularly weak on SSB.  My antenna wouldn't load on 40 without a lot
of changes and I made no QSOs except on 20 CW, 20 SSB, and 15 CW.  It is
better, safer, and more fun with a driver and I hope to recruit one for
next time.

Have fun this weekend.

73,

John, K4BAI.