[SECC] Helping out your friends!

Subject: [SECC] Helping out your friends!
From: Ernie" <ks4q@zingleman.com (Ernie)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 08:52:37 -0400
Dear Cluster Users:

Many of you already have high speed full time internet connections.  With
such, you often don't need RF access to the cluster.  However, you might be
able to help out some of your friends that have neither a full time internet
connection or a path to a RF 'enabled' cluster.

I have a web page that shows how easy it is to create a remote RF access
port for the KS4Q cluster using your internet connection.  I've set one of
these up myself here at the house for a test and it worked great.  The
address for instructions and software is:
www.zingleman.com/BPQ32_Remote.zip

To do this, you need a TNC, 2 meter radio, a computer that you can keep on
most all of the time and a full time internet connection.  The software
takes RF connection requests from the TNC and routes them via the internet
to my DX cluster computer.  Either a MFJ or Kantronics TNC will work.   I
also have some spare TNCs and older computers that I can lend out that will
do the job.  You could provide RF access at 1200 bps.

I'm certainly available to help you get this set up. Please let me know if
you would be interested.

On another note, the chip upgrade I did on all of the Sawnee Mtn TNCs seems
to have helped.  While the link was very reliable to begin with, it now
seems to be even more so.

Also, I by now all of you should be using the numerical IP address of::
64.192.112.225.  Charlie, NF4A is connecting from Panama City.  He uses a T1
connection down there to connect.  T1 connections are typically very very
reliable.  Charlie stays connected for several days at a time via telnet.
>From this I have surmised that on my end my static IP internet connection
must also be fairly reliable and  is not routinely dropping telnet users.
So, I must say that if you get dropped on Telnet, I am sorry....but it may
be on your end.

If you have not tried the cluster before, you can try it out by clicking on
the below link.  For some reason, if you use Windows 98, the hyperterminal
program will not let you see what you type in, but it will work.  Just click
on the below link.

telnet://64.192.112.225

Regards,

Ernie KS4Q