[SECC] 80 meter beam.

Subject: [SECC] 80 meter beam.
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:58:30 -0500
On 11/22/02 11:36 PM, David L. Thompson at thompson@mindspring.com wrote:

>Doug was looking for a 75/80 antenna that would let him compete with the
>W1/W2 gang and here is what he decided upon....He already had a 125 ft three
>legged tower with a 6 element 20 meter beam on it.   He extended the boom of
>the 20 meter beam (he does not say how much in the article ) and added a
>vertical reflector and director and tied the wires down with a deadman made
>from bricks.

This was a great article! It certainly made a lasting impression on my
brother and I, since we still joke about this 80m beam configuration from
time to time.

As I remember it, the article was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It's hard to
tell if the author was actually serious about using the configuration
described. Especially the part about being beat out by someone who was
using a full-sided quad (the guy now hiding out down in KP4-land with a
heck of a lot of wire...).

30 years ago, this would have been an awesome configuration. Today, there
are a few hams who have shortened 80m beams that are likely more
effective, and NQ4I is planning to stack a couple of them at his new QTH.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901