[SECC] Club name and Club call

Subject: [SECC] Club name and Club call
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Thu Mar 6 10:59:09 2003
For the last few weeks, I have been working on the master database
files for RTTY, and also trying to associate names with them. This
database is also used for Write Log.

I thought it would be a good idea to include Boy Scout Clubs, Explorer
Clubs, and all the major DX Clubs who have an interest in contesting.

Well, imagine my surprise when I found W4BCV listed as the
Southeastern Contest Club!

I have previously suggested that the club should obtain a call sign of
its own, and it now appears there is another reason. Once a name is
taken for a Club, the FCC will not let anyone else use that same name
on a club license. Imagine some one forming a club and calling it the
Potomac Valie Radio Club. Yep, they could do it, but I'm sure some
heads in PVRC would spin!! In fact, considering the clout of that
club, I doubt it would ever be granted.

But, anyway, I am now attempting once again to pursued the members
that we need a club call. I am more than
experienced when it comes to finding 4 letter calls, as several club
members can attest, and will gladly try to generate a list of what
might be desirable. ( a 2x1 would be my first choice )

I'll put it this way. If the club does not wish to do so, I will apply
for the name with myself as Trustee.

I would much rather we do this together and name a much younger member
of the Club as Trustee, but it is going to be done, and it is going to
be done by Sunday.

73
Ed