[SECC] TO1A and other thoughts

Subject: [SECC] TO1A and other thoughts
From: scottstraw at mindspring.com (Scott Straw)
Date: Fri Mar 7 11:55:21 2003
I updated my country list and re-scored.  TO1A was an added multiplier for
me (I fixed this before i submitted to ARRL, but after I submitted to
3830).  My final claimed score was raised to 20511  129 contacts, 53
multipliers.

I had set 100Q's as my goal for my SOSB 10M effort, and ended up with 91 on
that band.  If I had found another hour with that band, I would have made
my goal, I think.  It would have had to have been at the start of the
event, not the tail.  As the hours waned, it was hard to find unworked
stations - I guess this is common.

There were only about 3-4 stations, less than half a dozen for a fact, that
couldn't hear my 25W's well enough for a contact.  Some stations took extra
time and eked out my call, and for them I am grateful. At one point I heard
S9SS(?) very high on 10M (28.618?)  the pile up was so large, that every
other DX station down the band was calling "QRZ?" with no takers... I
seized that moment for all it was worth.

Saw an article at Contesting.com about the Contest Within a Contest
(CWC).  My time during ARRL DX SSB was limited to about 10 hours. I would
be interested to see what others who only worked a limited number of hours
did by comparison.  I also think that if I had the mind set of, "since I
can't do the whole 48, let me do as much of the 24 as I can," I might have
put in a few more hours. Don't most logging programs track your operating
time / off time?  Mine does, and as best I can tell, it keeps track of
breaks longer than 30 minutes.  If this is user defined, or contest form
defined, I haven't determined yet,but in either case it is a great tool.

My naive comments is that contesters ought to decide on 24 or 48 and then
submit a log that shows no more than the declared number of hours of
operating time (off time would have to be 30 minutes in length or
more).  Any one who logged 25 or more hours of operating time would be
judged in the 48 hour category.  It would seem hard to "cheat," i.e. delete
contacts to whittle down the log to a 24 hour length, because you would
show up on other logs? Right?

Would somebody please tell the newbie to quit asking so many questions?

Scott
KB4KBS