[SECC] Mast Pipe

Subject: [SECC] Mast Pipe
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (k4sb)
Date: Tue Aug 5 10:52:59 2003

Fred Dennin wrote:

> I am familiar with the availability of chrome moly mast pipe at Texas Tower
> and a few others but wondered if anyone knows of  a source locally?  I am
> looking for a section of pipe that is 21 to 24 feet in length, yield strength
> of about 90,000 psi, and wall dimension of .18 to .25.  The shipping from
> Texas Tower for one piece was estimated to be as much as $150.  That's what
> I'll pay if I have to but wanted to first see if anyone knew of a local
> source.

I would suggest you go ahead and order it from TT. Cost is a bitch, but
if you get the 1/4" wall, it has a yield strngth of over 140,000 lbs.
And by all means. get the 24'.

Be absolutely sure you put a thrust bearing on the top of the tower!
That sucker is heavy!

I sure hope you have a crankover tower, or haven't started the tower. If
you haven't started the tower, ( other than the ground piece, be sure
you insert the mast BEFORE you add sections above 10' or so. That thing
is too heavy to be man handled by even 2 people on the top of a tower.

IF the tower is fixed, and already up, you will need to cut a side bar
about 2' above the total length of the
tower. You can then insert it and then place a similar piece of bar
across the cut, and secure it with BIG
clamps!

A normal Rohn gin pole will NOT handle this weight.

73
Ed