[SECC] RE: RTTY

Subject: [SECC] RE: RTTY
From: Matt at Tenn-Valley.com (Matt Lee, WB6BWZ)
Date: Tue Dec 30 21:00:42 2003
Dan,

We didn't care if RTTY was sent via klunkers or computers. We were glad
just to have anyone talk to us on RTTY, hi. And this was on the Left
Coast (W6-land).

We got around the CR/LF problem with a hardware mod that would force a
CR/LF at about the 72nd character. Many times that would be in a middle
of a word but at least it was done automatically.

I believe the mod was featured in RTTY Journal circa 70's.

I had lots of fun playing with my Model 15, 19, 28KSR (my favorite!) and
Kleinschmidt TT/4 portable printer-keyboard. Had many ragchews on the
greenkeys with Irv Hoff, W6FFC, on 362x kHz. (Will someone tell me what
happened to Irv?)

The Model 19 was really something. Whenever I had to move it, it meant
disassembling everything. Even the steel desk weighed a ton. Always
wished for a 28ASR but they were too expensive for me. Nothing ever
broke or required adjustments in my TTY machines. They kept working and
working and working...including the power supply. The machines were
well-used before I got them, too.

The first time I saw a tty machine was at an Army MARS station. I was
15-16 at that time (brand new Novice). The GI's would not let me get
close to their machines. Don't know why - the RTTY traffic they were
handling was unclassified.

The first time I touched the greenkeys was on a 28KSR in Civil Defense
Headquarters (Diamond Head, Honolulu, Hawaii) during a 3-day nationwide
drill. I was assigned to a 2-meter AM (remember the Clegg's?) but lost
my voice from too much traffic handling. That is when they assigned me
to a 28KSR (telephone line connections between CD shelters on the
different islands). It was lots of fun...and I've been hooked on tty
ever since.

I will have to work but I will participate in the RTTY Roundup part-time
and QRP.

--
Matt Lee, WB6BWZ
Atlanta, Georgia USA