[SECC] Computer Question

Subject: [SECC] Computer Question
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Fri Jan 2 15:52:43 2004
ku8e@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Couldn't you just use a boot disk from the a: drive and then try to read the
> files on the hard drive after that ???
---------------------------
That would depend on the FAT settings of the HD and the type boot disk
used. You cannot use a MSDOS boot disk to view a FAT32 HD, nor the
opposite.

As a matter of practice, I always transfer format.com to the emergency
boot disk. I also use ( and have replaced it in the C:\windows\command
directory ) the Win2000 version of FDISK. The Win95 and 98 versions
have difficulty recognizing large hard drives.

Of of course, a MSDOS disk can only format a HD up to 2MB.

I would suggest using a emergency boot disk from 98 on, copying
format.com to that disk in addition to what Windows will put on it,
then using FDISK, try to read the partion information ( option4 ). If
unable, just repartition the drive, SHUT DOWN the computer, start it
up again, and format the HD.

73
Ed