[SECC] Writelog again

Subject: [SECC] Writelog again
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu Mar 11 18:01:51 2004
I have nothing against peer to peer networking but being from an IT/IS
background (my last client was a client/server set up with NT) I still like
this method.  For one thing its ingrained in XP and NT and works great with
my bellsouth DSL.

Please remember writelog is a very feature rich program and I keep telling
Wayne he needs several levels of documentation.  One for basic logging, one
for rig control, and the last for networking.  If you follow the writelog
reflector networking falls right behind RTTY for most traffic.

If I were to run a big multi op station I would have a server with redundant
processors supporting
multiple clients (each band).   However Rick needs to do what Wayne W5XD has
provided and use a peer to peer network (you can still designate one PC
(usually a big Mhz and RAM XP system) and then set up the other PCs.
Remember that writelog needs 64MB RAM (128 is better) and this is more
important than speed of the processor (this is one is a MMX 166Mhz and my
shack PC is a 500Mhz Pentium III running W98V2).  If I need a main PC I have
a 2Mhz XP Pro Compaq.  I have PC's on different floors and so far wireless
has not had an interference problem although when I run the big amp on 40
the CRT has some crosshatch. (2 feet from the 8877 amp).  I usually run the
3-500Z No tune amp as this works well enough on 40.

Trey and I have talked about this (no matter what Logging program you
run)...you will spend more time on the PC support than with the rigs
themselves.

73 Dave K4JRB