[SECC] 2004 ARRL Spring VHF Contest

Subject: [SECC] 2004 ARRL Spring VHF Contest
From: dxcc at dbtech.net (Allan & Bridget)
Date: Fri May 7 14:53:57 2004
Hi, Jeff!

Allan and I used to go mountain topping during the June VHF Contest all the
time, and the elevation DOES do wonders for making contacts via line of
sight, which is often the only mode of propagation available on a contest
weekend, it seems.  Can't really give you any ideas in terms of where to
try...we used to go to a spot on Lookout Mountain in northeast Alabama.
We've also operated in the Smokey Mountains (the rangers weren't very
friendly).

Have you mentioned this to K4FJW?  You probably get his VHF emails that he
sends out...several of the guys that are on his list mountaintop, and they
can tell you whether or not you'd be going where someone else has already
planned to go or not, or where a good place to go might be.

Allan used to pore over topo maps.  =)

Tom Shutter's email address is k4fjw@bvunet.net just in case you don't know
about the list.  He'll also by happy to announce your plans to others via
the VHF/UHF email list (not a reflector).

KV4T, KF4DGS, and W4CCF will be operating from KF4DGS's station in EM 53 xj
(using W4CCF's call).  Don't know if I'll be part of the team or not.  If
not, I'll try to listen for you (as well as other VHF ops on this reflector)
from our house (EM63gd).  I hope we'll have our 2m and 70cm antennas back up
on our tower by then and that I can get rid of these migraines.

Either way, have fun and hope to hear you on the air!

73,
Bridget, KS4YT