[SECC] Atlanta Hamfest

Subject: [SECC] Atlanta Hamfest
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon Jun 7 22:48:01 2004
On Jun 7, 2004, at 1:28 PM, Larry Van Horn wrote:

> Probably one of the most
> disappointing hamfest I have ever attended in my 30 years of hamming.
> ... Given the size of Atlanta and the surrounding area
> it truly is a shame it isn't better hamfest. BTW the last Chattanooga I
> went to three years ago was better than Atlanta and Huntsville just
> frankly kicks your hamfest into the dirt.

ATL Hamfest used to be one of the largest, rivaling Dayton. That was in
the late 70s and early 80s. Even in the late 80s it was pretty big. At
some point, it all imploded and has not recovered since.

I heard someone say a few years ago that Hamfests needed to return to
the social events they were in the 30s. The big swapfests have been
undercut by the internet and changes in technology. This is likely
true.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901