[SECC] using ALC to control power amplifier

Subject: [SECC] using ALC to control power amplifier
From: derosan at yahoo.com (der)
Date: Fri Jul 23 21:26:24 2004
I have been wondering about something for a while now.
If anyone has an opinion, I'd like to hear it.

Here goes:

Let's say I have an amp which I apply drive to and
tune it up so that the output is 1000 watts. Now I
adjust the ALC setting so that the power output is
reduced to 150 watts.

My question is: If I now leave evrything as it is and
start keying my exciter-amp combination, what is the
instantaneous power output at initial key down?

I maintain that it is 1000 watts.

Second question:If the amp is keyed at a rate
approaching the time constant of the amp-exciter
combination, what is the average power output for the
system?

I maintain that it is well above 150 watts

If there is credence to my conclusions, doesn't that
mean that this method of controlling output would be
an inappropriate way of operating in a low power class
with a 150 watt limit.

I'm only a mechanical engineer, so maybe you EE's can
enlighten me.

Darrell