A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]

Subject: A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]
From: w4nti at mindspring.com (Daniel Jeswald)
Date: Sat Sep 4 21:05:41 2004
Well Jeff...since your asking.  I vote to leave it the way it is.  The way
it is...is why I joined it.

Dan/W4NTI

the "internet only club idea" anyway. Only reason I joined SECC is that it
was the only club down here interested in contesting. Maybe we need to "re
think" this whole concept ?? Is there an interest in changing ??

>  I am not proposing that we have formal meetings, meeting requirements or
even
> a demand that you operate so many contests or you will be kicked out of
the club. AA4GA is right in commenting that the formal processes we do have
in place are only there to meet ARRL requirements.

> What I am proposing is that are membership maybe think about having
activities that promote camaraderie in the club. This could include
rallying around a specific contest and set a goal to win the club
competition or have a social event such as a club FD and picnic, social
meeting etc.... And number one is
> to get on an OPERATE and submit your score for SECC. Lee says this is an
"OPERATING club" but lately there has been a lack of that as well.

> Also, I disagree with AA4GA's comment that we could never be like
MRRC,SMC, etc...Those clubs have a membership that it spread out as well.
Look at SMC. They have members from MN,IA and as far east as IN. If you
look at our roster the core of our membership is in GA, especially around
the Atlanta area. We also have about 7 members in SC , 17 in AL, of which
not all are active.

> Maybe my comments are out of line being on of the new people on the block
down here as far as contesting...  My idea of having a club is to promote
> camaraderie about contesting and socialize with people who have the same
interest. If everyone just wants to stay at the Status Quo and leave it the
way it is that's fine... But I will probably not be part of it...

>                       73, Jeff
>

> > From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
> > Date: 2004/09/02 Thu PM 08:20:09 EDT
> > To: <secc@contesting.com>
> > Subject: A long post about the SECC...was:   Re: [SECC]
> >
> > On 2 Sep 2004 at 16:54, Jay Pryor wrote:
> >
> > > I agree wholeheartedly that the club would benefit from face-to-face
> > > meetings and exchanges of ideas. However, it was because of the every
day
> > > demands on many of us, including KU8E and others, that the club was
> > > established by W4AN (who disliked meetings) to interact with one
another
> > > via the internet.  Read "About Us" on the SECC web site, crafted by
K2UFT.

> [...]
> > contest club.  I have never seen anyone put as much energy in trying
> > to get a contest club going as Rick did.  He came from the FRC, and
> > was super gung-ho about it.  It lasted for a few years, but
> > ultimately failed, I believe partially because Rick was really the
> > only one pushing that club, but mostly because there just isn't a
> > high enough density of contesters in the area to support a
> > "traditional" club.
> >
> > But the ONLY activity that the SECC was designed for was score
> > reporting - no GQP, no sponsoring of plaques, no treasury, no social
> > activities - nothing.  Like John said  - it is an OPERATING club.
> > The only reason there were any in-person meetings at all was to
> > satisfy the ARRL requirement at the time of two meetings per year.
> > And to reduce that burden even further, we decided that at each
> > gathering of members to hold two meetings.  One meeting would be
> > called to order and with very little discussion the meeting would be
> > adjourned and a second meeting called to order, and it too would be
> > quickly adjourned with little discussion.  Under the ideal
> > circumstances, both meetings would be over and done in about two
> > minutes.  And the ARRL requirements for everyone in attendance were
> > satisfied.
> >
> > If you couldn't make the Atlanta Hamfest, but were going to be at the
> > Huntsville Hamfest, any two members could call a meeting, and with
> > the two meetings in one procedure, whoever was in attendance had
> > their ARRL requirements for attendance satisfied.
> > Whambamthankyoumaam.
> >
> > Of course usually folks would hang out and talk about contesting and
> > life and generally socialize before and after the official meetings,
> > but they weren't officially part of the club activities, and the
> > meetings weren't regularly scheduled.
> >
> > Now that the ARRL no longer has a 2-meetings per year requirement,
> > there is no need for the SECC to have ANY in-person official meetings
> > AT ALL.
> >
> > The only requirement for membership should be the submission of a
> > minimum of two scores per year in a contest with a club competition -
> > and I'm not sure we should really have that, although theoretically
> > it should increase the aggregate scores somewhat, so we decided to
> > implement that at the beginning.  There should be no geographic
> > requirements for membership, although the club is designed to
> > primarily include folks from TN, NC, AL, GA, and SC.  Geographically,
> > the only restrictions should be those imposed for specific contests
> > by their sponsors.  And to accommodate those contests, we selected a
> > geographical center of the club.
> >
> > K4SB is a stickler on the by-laws (and this isn't an attack Ed!), but
> > the honest truth of the matter is that the ONLY reason there are any
> > written by-laws at all is because the ARRL required us to submit them
> > when we applied for affiliated club status.
> >
> > I'm going to comment some on these quotes below:

DC area

SECC so
that were