[SECC] WA4TT answers

Subject: [SECC] WA4TT answers
From: wa4tt at nlamerica.com (John Vickers)
Date: Mon Sep 6 01:04:17 2004
1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

My grandfathers old Philco AM & Shortwave receiver. The one they used to
listen to "The Lone Ranger", Amos & Andy", and all the other programs of
that era on. My mother remembers listening to the news flash anouncing the
end of WWII. At 9 yrs old I begged my grandmother for it ---- 2 years later,
in 1961 I passed my novice exam and have been enjoying the lure of
'Wireless' ever since.

2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

CW--- to me its REAL radio !!

3. What got you interested in contesting?

I'm not a contester-- But I've always enjoyed giving out Qs to those of you
that are. Especially to the Ops I know from yrs on the bands and the Members
of SECC. Lee, AA4GA , was the one that sent me an email after he and W4WA
worked me during a 160 m test. They had just formed the club and were
recruiting so here I am.

4. What is your favorite contest and why?

Any 160 m contest--- with only wire for an antenna, its a more level field
for me. Plus, its my favorite band !

5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

Every rig I've ever owned, from the philco rcvr, my first 6L6 homebrew xmtr,
Viking II, HT 37, right on up to the Omni6+ that I use now. Several amps,
several receivers, and two wire antennas. A 5/16 wave Marconi, 80 ft
vertical and 80 ft horizontal with 60 130 ft radials, and a 260 ft Doublet
fed with open wire. Oh --and a few beverages for receive.

6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

Enjoy my grandkids --- then spend the rest of the week getting the kinks out
after they leave.

7.  What do you do for a living?

Retired--- was a multi craft maint mechanic for Southeast Paper Mfg Co. Then
in 1984 had an industrial accident and had to take my company retirement.
Raised beef cattle until my last surgery three years ago then had to give
that up.

8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the CQ WW
SSB contest in Oct 2004?

See if I can borrow a Microphone ??

9.  How long have you been licensed?

Next month will make 43 yrs.

10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

The fact that its become too comercialized. Most of the nostalgia is gone.
The magic of radio -- I mean, real radio as I grew up knowing it, is long
gone. But we can enjoy whats left. I promise to put more effort into looking
for you SECC members in the contest. And who knows, heck I may just show up
at some face to face meeting ya'll put together someday---- strange-er
things have happened ---- I guess !!

73 es CUL, John WA4TT