[SECC] California QSO Party

Subject: [SECC] California QSO Party
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri Sep 10 07:32:55 2004
On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:52 PM, <rwhiggins@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>   Having recently moved from Florida, I was a member of the FCG and we
> had
> this same discussion a couple of years ago as our club grew in size.
> It was
> decided that the clubs primary goal was to encourage participation by
> as
> many members as possible in as many contests as possible. Placing high
> was a
> desired goal of course, but secondary to encouraging participation. We
> felt
> if we were to continue to grow as a club, every member had to feel that
> their effort, large or small contributed to the club's score. The
> danger is
> that limiting scores to the best 50 sets up a divide between the
> "elite" and
> the rest of the membership. If that continues the club will eventually
> consist of abouit 50 members.

I totally agree. At this point, it isn't an issue for the SECC, but it
could become one.

The way Jeff stated the goal was to win the Medium category. If we just
wanted to place higher in the club competition, then limiting entries
wouldn't be such a big deal.

Right now, we haven't even gotten 50 entries in SS. This year, we ought
to come closer.

>   The way to increase club scores in the long haul is to bring in new
> members and new contesters, and to help current members increase their
> scores. Any body doing a multi-single or multi-multi for the upcoming
> contests?

NQ4I is going M/M for CQWW Phone, and possibly CW. He's had trouble in
the past recruiting ops from the ranks of the SECC, though. Too often
he has to call off participation because he can't get enough ops.
Interested parties should contact Rick.

> Great training ground for fledgling/casual contesters. Encourage
> them to come and learn from the experts. They will be better operators
> contributing higher scores.

My participation at the NQ4I M/M over the last 8 years has helped my
scores.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901