[SECC] GQP

Subject: [SECC] GQP
From: aa4ga at contesting.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:55:51 -0400
On 12 Apr 2005 at 9:33, ku8e at bellsouth.net wrote:

> I guess I don't understand how some of you think this will effect
> activity on SSB. There is no connection. The rover stations work 90%
> of their QSO's on CW because the rate is better. Why should I bother to
> go to SSB when I have only 30 mins in a county and I can average 90
> per hour working CW ????

If I were a mobile station operating primarily CW and mults were
counted both on SSB and CW, it would be an incentive for me to make a
quick pass thru SSB bands for the additional mults.  Especially
during that slow time that sometimes happens just before a county
change.

If I were a mobile station operating primarily CW and mults were
counted only once, I would me much less inclined to operate any SSB
at all.

So for a low-activity contest with a large number of CW-oriented ops,
I would think that having mults count only once would be a detriment
to the SSB activity.

Normally SSB rates are higher than CW rates...if not, there could be
several reasons.  Most likely is the points differential between CW
and SSB.  Instead of QSOs per hour, the rate should be measured in
QSO-points per hour.  If Q/s per hour on CW is already greater than
that on SSB, then with a points differential in favor of CW, the Q-
points/hour must be greatly in favor of CW operating.  If this is
actually the case, and if the sponsor's goal is to "equalize" SSB and
CW, I would think that the points differential in favor of CW is
inappropriate.  If the sponsor's goal is to promote CW activity, then
the points differential is proper.

As far as sweeps go, I've never heard of anyone sweeping CQWW or ARRL-
DX...  ;-)     If one wants to work toward a sweep, they need to be
flexible enough to operate both CW and SSB.  To expect a single-mode
sweep in the GQP with the relatively low activity level and large
number of counties seems a bit unrealistic.

The amount of CW I operate in a mixed mode contest depends on several
different things.  If I'm operating the contest seriously, I'll do
what I can to maximize total points by juggling Q-points/hour and the
contest's method of mult calculation.  If I'm just out to do a little
operating and not compete, I'll most likely just operate CW (because
that is the mode I prefer), with maybe the odd SSB Q for some friends
or whatever.  If I'm on for just a short time and am trying to
maximize points for the club, I'll most likely operate primarily CW
with quick passes through SSB...especially if the mults count
separately.  If the mults don't count separately, my SSB activity
will be much less.

FWIW, at my current low level of activity, almost all of my
actitivity is CW.

Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA