[SECC] Possible FD site

Subject: [SECC] Possible FD site
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:51:12 -0400
Jeff:

I've been to the Mountain Top Inn several times.  You may want to drive
through there and look.  My recollection is that the cabins are right on
top of each other.  A gasoline generator would probably disturb the
sleep of everybody else there.  Maybe we could get enough battery
powered rigs?  I don't seem to recall much room for antennas at any one
cabin.  Maybe it would be possible to get a cabin or two on one end with
some woods nearby, but my recollection is that the cabins are generally
below the ridgeline and not particularly suited for antennas.

Actually the cabins at the FDR State Park are probably more down in a
hole than the ones at Mountain Top, but they are more separated.  We had
plenty of room for separate dipoles for at least 80, 40, and 20 when we
did GQP from there in 1968.  But, we didn't try to run a gasoline
generator in the park.  There were some cabins on top of the ridge, but
they were in disrepair and were not for rent at the time.  I have some
recollection that these might have been renovated since then.  They
would be better located as to terrain, but I don't remember any trees
near them that could be used to hang antennas on.

I feel still commited to the CARC.  If I were free to do a SECC FD, I
might be willing to pay for several extra days for a cabin and might
take a short vacation prior to or after FD.

There are also A frame cabins available on the road between Pine
Mountain and Interstate 185 (Pine Mountain Chalets), but, again, they
are pretty close together and a generator would probably be frowned on.
  There are also at least two other cabin rental places near Calloway,
but I don't remember their names at the moment.

73,

John.