[SECC] Storm Welfare Traffic Frequency

Subject: [SECC] Storm Welfare Traffic Frequency
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:00:54 -0400
In addition to the 14265 frequency which is the Satern
(Salvation Army net) you can use these frequencies:

3862 Mississippi SSB Net usually running informal now.

3873  Western Gulf ARES Net (K5GLS) Only priority and emergency Traffic.
Covers LA, MS and Mobile

3888 Heatlh and welfare Traffic.

3935 Central Gulf Coast Hurricane Net Handling health and welfare on
secondary basis.

There are LA and Alabama nets too just go to their ARRL Section web sites.

One important note:  Most heath and welfare is funneled to SATERN or the
local county EOC or EMA.  Replies is some cases may be days or even weeks.

I lived thru Camille and ran the Mississippi RACES HQ station W5IZS.  The
winds were greater (200+ at Kessler AFB) but the flooding and water surge
was greater(with Katrina) plus the levy at New Orleans was not breached.

I don't remember a Hurricane that caused so much long term damage.  Camille
was not even close.  There is damage in Mississippi well above I-20 in the
mid state.  And look at the damage Sw of Atlanta and to Helen, GA.  I ralked
with two senior FEMA staff members in the FEMA Regional HQ in Thomasville
(was the Civil Defense Regional Office).  They could not recount a hurricane
that caused this much damage and flooding and one was a child in the early
1940's
and worked thru Audry, Betsy, David, camille, The stormy sisters that wiped
away the SC beaches, Andrew, Fredrick, et al.

Dave K4JRB