[SECC] KU8E SS Plans

Subject: [SECC] KU8E SS Plans
From: ku8e at bellsouth.net (ku8e@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:40:31 -0500
Hi All...

I'm all setup and ready to go. Played in the NCCC practice SS last night and
seem to be getting out OK.

I will be a serious SOLP running SO2R. My goal is 1000 Q's and a sweep.

Station #1 : IC756PRO , 20 meter dipole NW/SE @ 50 ft , 40 meter vertical

Station #2  TS850S , 88 foot doublet @ 50 ft NE/SW

DX Doubler , CTWIN software

Had some software problems last night. I normally run my computer with
Partition Magic so I can run
NA under WIN98.  I bought a Piexx CIVUSB (see http://www.piexx.com/) to get
radio control for the Icom. I already have an interface box to run the TS850S.
It turns out the NA will not recognize the COM4 port .(i.e the USB port) I'm
not sure if USB ports work with the WIN98 operating system.

   I next tried the N1MM program. I am getting an error about a dlportio.dll
file missing when I set LPT1 as the keying port. This is the port I am using
from my DX Doubler to key the radios.  This error crashes the program and the
only way to make it go away is to reinstall the program. Once you set the LPT1
port in the settings it just crashes again with the same error. I'm not sure I
want to use N1MM in SS anyway since It is still an unproven progarm for me.

I next tried CTWIN. It seems to work OK. The radios communicate with the
program and the radios key OK. Only weird thing about CT is it doesn't seem to
recognize you have switched bands unless you use the ALT-F1 or ALT-F2 key to go
up or down. If you switch bands via the radio it doesn't switch bands in the
program. I guess I can live with this...

GL to all and hope to have a bunch of SECCers in the log.

Jeff  KU8E/4