[SECC] CQWW CW Contest Score

Subject: [SECC] CQWW CW Contest Score
From: RadioIR at charter.net (K4SAV)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:19:32 -0600
                                                CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K4SAV
Operator(s): K4SAV

Class: SOAB ASSISTED HP
QTH: AL

Band    Qs   Pts  Cty   Zone
1.8     19    40   18     8
3.5     72   195   51    15
7      239   663  107    27
14     357  1014  114    33
21     137   379   73    22
28      23    56   14     7

Total  847  2347  377   112

Score 1,147,683

---------------------------------------

Decided to try out N1MM logger in the packet assisted mode.  Man, it was
so easy, seems like cheating.

Used the Mult & Qs window, and the Band Map windows, and software
controlled the radio, and connected to telnet.  The Mult & Qs window has
a list of the available multipliers you need.  To get one, just click on
the call sign, and you are instantly there. It also monitors all the
other bands for you and has a list of the number of multipliers and Qs
available on the other bands, so you can QSY if another band has a bunch
of multipliers available.

The Band Map was very useful. I used to do a crude version of this by
hand by scribbling on a piece of paper.  It shows all the spotted
stations on the band, plus those you work, plus any you want added to
the list.  When you find a station not listed and type his call sign
into the entry window, and find out he is a dupe, if you just move the
receiver off frequency without clearing the entry, the call sign gets
added to the map and then gets cleared from the entry window. Neat! Sure
is nice when tuning the band again, you can instantly see who is there
and if you have worked them without retyping the call again. Better yet,
I found out the Band Map also works in non-assisted mode.  Got to start
using this! (I always had that window closed before.)

I didn't put in a full time effort but had a lot of fun.  Got a full
nights sleep both nights.  I knew I wouldn't be competitive with no
decent 80 and 160 antennas, and I didn't do much running, mostly just
S&P to test that neat software.  This was the first real test of my new
4 element SteppIR and XM240 and some good sloping terrain. They worked
great.  Didn't have any problem getting thru those monster pile-ups.

Jerry, K4SAV