[SECC] NCCC Practice Observations

Subject: [SECC] NCCC Practice Observations
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:48:07 -0500
Hi Ken:

I feel somewhat frustrated after a practice when we can't post to 3830,
so I can' share my observations.  So, I thought I'd just send them to you.

I was very disappointed in the CQWW CW Practice, as there were
practically no stations to QSO.  20 and higher bands were closed and I
didn't try 160.  80 and 40 had very few signals, all of which I worked.
  I did work a VE3 on 80 who was a casual caller and did also work
FP/K8DD, who was calling CQ QRP about 7046 khz.  Glad the practice
brought me to that frequency so I could work that station before going
off to NQ4I where we worked them on most bands.

Last night's 160M practice was entirely different.  I had had doubts
whether my Alpha 78 was working OK on that band.  It didn't seem to be
tuning up like I thought it should and I have used it only a couple of
times since I had a problem with it in one of the 160M contests last
year and it had no output on 160 below 1900 khz.  Must have been CQ 160
SSB.  I had it repaired.  So, I had doubt whether it was doing OK and
had a continency plan to use the Titan instead.  However, I was
reassured when 0330Z rolled around and the first two stations I called,
K4LTA and AD4EB in Tennessee came right back.  I then moved up to about
1824 khz and CQed.  I got a lot of answers.  Obviously a few regulars on
Thursday night like W9RE.  A lot of TCG stations from TN.  I think a
number of the callers were on 160 as a matter of habit or setting up for
the weekend and just joined in when they heard the activity.  I had
posted a couple of messages to SECC trying to get some activity from our
area, but didn't hear any other SECC members.  I got calls from TX to
ON, meaning that the amp and antenna were doing OK, at least.  Then I
did a bit of S&P.  Heard, but could not work KF6T (very good signal,
N6RO, and K7NV.  I did call and work quickly YV1DIG, who was giving out
signal reports in his own practice session, I suspect.  Toward the end,
I was called by Lee, VE7CC, and that was a nice surprise.

Noticed that K5WA kept on making QSOs after 04Z.  I guess that is OK, as
long as people are calling and he is having fun.  I did try a different
antenna and called him, only to get a ?? and nothing else.  Since he had
  answered on the first call, I decided to use the first antenna during
the contest.  Will run out the radials and attach them this afternoon.
I roll up two of the three radials between contests since they interfere
with lawn mowing.

Results last night:  FT1000MP, Alpha 78, 600 watts output, "T" vertical,
more or less, fed through MFJ antenna tuner.  30 minutes.  24 x 17 = 918.

See you this weekend, I am sure.  I know you will be listening for weak
high power stations, among all others, hi.

73,

John, K4BAI.