[SECC] ARRL 160

Subject: [SECC] ARRL 160
From: wa4tt at nlamerica.com (John Vickers)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:12:47 -0500
ARRL 160

WA4TT - SOHP

348 Qs - 72 sec - 17 countries = 67,551 pts

Rig: Omni 6, 4-400A @ 400 W.
Ant: 1/4 wave marconi

Tuned the band a few times during the weekend S&P. Heard several SECC
members. Operated from the line noise capital of Ga, so the RX was very
poor. The local power co-op has been very helpful--- even giving me a
lineman and bucket truck 1 day a week for the past month. I spend the rest
of the week tracking it down and he repairs what I've found. Have reduced
the ambient level from 35 dB/ S9 to 10 over, but still lots more to do. They
were so impressed by the success of finding the problems that I've helped
them locate 2 other sites in their area at no charge. The Gen Mgr said if
I'll keep locating the sources of my noise he'll provide the resources to
fix it. So things are "sounding" better !
73, John WA4TT