[SECC] Claimed Score, K4BAI, 2005 ARRL 160 Meter Contest

Subject: [SECC] Claimed Score, K4BAI, 2005 ARRL 160 Meter Contest
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney III)
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 19:58:46 -0500
See below my report to 3830.  A fun contest and everything worked well
except as noted.  Glad to work so many members and others in our area.
Here are the SECC members or reflector subscribers worked according to
my memory:  KA9EKJ, W8JI, AA4LR, K4HAL, AA4NN, N4NX, W4QO, WA4TT, K9AY,
KU8E, K4EA, NY4N, K4ZGB, K4IQJ, W4NTI, N4AA, N4PN, NA4BW.  These three
have operated at NQI with us:  K8JQ, N5QQ, K0EJ.  Here are others in AL,
GA, and SC in the log.  I will mark some with an asterisk, indicating
that, according to my memory, those stations may be outside our circle
for most contests.  GA:  NK9R (K4BEH, opr), W1IBQ, N4JVP, WA4DCL, AA4CF,
W4IS*, W3WL, K4MOG, W4OWY, K4ZMV.  Jim, K4ZMV, is about to move from
Columbus back home to the Pensacola, FL area.  AL:  N4NO, KX4X, W4JSI,
K4WI*, N4KG, N4AX, WA4KXX.  SC:  AA4V*, AF4OX*, N4UFP, K4QO*, W0AH
(prospective member when he moves permanently to SC), W4HGW, K4CNW,
W4IT, K4DLJ, N4IQ.  Please encourage any of these to join if you know or
meet them.

73,  John, K4BAI.

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 14:26

Total:  QSOs = 683  Sections = 72  Countries = 8  Total Score = 111,200

FT1000MP, Alpha 78, 1 KW output, "t" dipole with three radials.  XYL and I went
to a bar association Christmas Party Friday night and missed four hours of prime
time. Band seemed pretty good and three Europeans called me while I was CQing.
Saturday night seemed pretty good early and there were a number of Europeans
coming through at our sunset, although I was unable to work any of them.  After
a few hours on Saturday, I suddenly started getting a lot of hash from my laptop
logging computer, so I disconnected the computer keying line and that cured the
problem.  Hope I can figure out how to key from the laptop without noise in the
future.

By 0415Z Saturday night, the QRN was so bad from nearby thunderstorms that I
went to bed for the night.

I found that the 40 meter dipole works better as a receiving antenna than the
"t" vertical does. It is quieter and the signals seemed quite strong.  So, I
used it on the receive post for the last 2/3 of the contest.  Maybe it is
similar to a beverage for a city lot dweller.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

Missed sections:  WMA, SDG (heard), SF (heard), SJV (heard and called), ND, MB,
NT, AK (never worked on 160 from home QTH).  DX worked:  VP2E, 6Y0A, NP4A,
KV4FZ, P40TA, DL7CX, IK1YDB, PA3GCV, KH6ZM, CO2JD, ZF2AH.

73, John, K4BAI.

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.