[SECC] Blast & bust - 2 nights of ARRL 160 at KA9EKJ

Subject: [SECC] Blast & bust - 2 nights of ARRL 160 at KA9EKJ
From: roger.hoeft at intergraph.com (Hoeft, Roger V)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:36:43 -0600
     Call used: KA9EKJ                Location: AL
     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW     Power: Low
     Callsign of Operator(s): KA9EKJ

     Exchanged Information: KA9EKJ RST AL

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
     160        604       1229
     -------------------------
     TOTAL      604       1229   X   80 multipliers  =  98,320

That's about the best way to explain this year's 160M contest at the KA9EKJ
permanent Field Day site.  Greg, K4NO loaned his K9AY box for the test and I
tried to wire it into my 830s with a N4KG voltage protection circuit.  Being
a part of the "plug -n-play" generation, my interpretive skills dealing with
theory are about nil.  If I could at least get the loop box direct-wired to
the rig, I could then focus on the voltage protection circuit. After
attempting numerous combinations of direct wiring the K9AY loop box to the
x-verter plug on the rig, I had no success (2 wires, 8 pins should be simple
math, right??!).   Well, Greg saved the day by loaning his FT1000MP.  (Look,
there's a phono jack in the back of the rig that says "Rx in." The K9AY box
has a phono jack to the receiver. Plug-n-play, man!!!)

Now that I had something to transmit and receive with, all I needed was
something to log and key with.  I "borrowed" an old hard and floppy drive
from work, so all I had to do was "plug" them in to an old chassis I had,
reformat the hard drive from NT to WIN98 and I would be ready to "play."
Um, Greg, do you have a computer I can borrow for the test?

Finally as the test rolled in I was smoking.  I used the K9AY box
exclusively for rx and was picking up calls I never would have heard by my
inverted L  alone.  At the turn, I had 479 Qs and 73 mults.  I had 611 x 77
for the entire test last year.  In fact,  I should have had 80 - 100 more Qs
Friday, but #2 son shredded a rear tire near Huntsville and I had to run a
spare to him 25 miles away.  I worked XE, VP2E (1st call through the pile!!)
6Y, ON, and DL for 5 pointers the first night.  With a first night's score
like that, I could possibly reach 1000 Qs by the end of the contest.

Wrong-oh!!!

I don't know what happened, but it was as if someone threw a wet blanket
over the band on Saturday.  I couldn't get anything going at all for
Saturday.  Ga and Tn stations were weak, atmospherics got bad with the
coming storm front, I couldn't hear anything and couldn't get any runs going
at all.  I don't know if I had too much fun Friday and was too tired to
fight through the band Saturday, but I squeaked out only 125 more Qs in 7
hours of effort.  I shut everything down and threw in the owel at midnight
local time.  My only 5 pointers were ZF, and P4.  Domestically, I missed RI,
MB, SK, NWT, and SJV.

I thought I would wake up early and try again at 5am. I was awake long
enough to look at the clock once at 5am, then again a few seconds later at
... well, football pregame shows were on.  Turns out a passing storm
separated the feedpoint from the radials on the inverted L, so I didn't miss
anything.

Oh, well.  Time to start thinking about NAQP.

Everyone have a great holiday season.

        Roger ...
        KA9EKJ