[SECC] GaQP NJ8J SOABCW LP

Subject: [SECC] GaQP NJ8J SOABCW LP
From: nj8j at arrl.net (Ben Coleman)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:33:24 -0400

                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: COBB
Operating Time (hrs): 13:05

- --------------------
   80:   57
   40:  182
   20:   46
   15:    1
   10:
- --------------------
Total:  286     0  CW Mults = 41  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 23,411

Equipment:

Transceiver: Alinco DX-77T running 100 Watts
Antennas:    110' off-center fed wire (80-20)
             Antron A99 (15)

This beats my 2000 GQP score, which was my previous high GQP score, while
actually spending less time on the air (13 hours vs 15.5 hours)

Those of you who may have been paying attention to the state of that wire
antenna of mine will be glad to know that it's finally been restrung and is
one again entirely off of the ground.  I restrung it the weekend before, had
it come down in the winds the next day, and restrung it again Saturday morning
(I'm glad I didn't restring it during the week, as Friday's winds would have
probably taken it down again.)  I got a look at the condition of the wire when
I spliced it, and think I'm going to have to plan on replacing it this year,
as the wire looked in pretty bad shape.  Nevertheless, I think it's better
than before, as I'm no longer having to take the far end off at an angle in
order to make it fit in the area.

One of the things I like about operating GQP is that even with a little pistol
(pop-gun?) station like mine, it's reasonable to run, rather than S&P, most of
the contest.

I got started late on Saturday, about 2045Z.  I got on 20 CW, found a place to
run, and proceeded to work 11 stations, 7 DX.  That rather surprised me, as
I'm definitely not used to working that much DX, that quickly, in GQP.  (Makes
me wish I had gotten started sooner).  The rest of the day went pretty well,
averaging 30 Qs/hr (actual hourly rates ranged from 26 to 39), which I figure
is not bad for a pop-gun station in a QP.  I saw the 10QSO rate-meter hit 110
at one point.  I continued to be surprised by being called by DX, working 11
on 20 (not too surprising), 7 on 40 (a bit more surprising), and was called by
RK2FWA on 80 (worked him on all 3 bands).  Early on I was having enough fun
working CW that I decided to do this CW-only.  Ended the night with 220 Qs and
39 mults.  Not bad for a pop-gun station.

Sunday I got on at about 1800Z, ran 20 Qs in the first half-hour (making me
feel like I was headed for another day like Saturday), and then everything
seemed to come to a screeching halt.  Looked to be a combination of 2 things:

1.  Propagation wasn't near as good as on Saturday (minor GM storm)
2.  Seemed like most of those who could hear me had already worked me.  40 was
the only band that seemed to be worth much, and 40 was where most of my
Saturday contacts had been (130 Qs).  I could hear plenty of loud stations
chasing the mobiles, but wasn't getting called much myself.

Rates for the last 6 hours:  21, 6, 12, 3(!), 11, 12.

Ben
- --
Ben Coleman nj8j at arrl.net
 "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the
same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."
                                            Paul Tomblin