[SECC] Matching T Vertical for 160 meters

Subject: [SECC] Matching T Vertical for 160 meters
From: k9ay at k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:40:11 -0500
Jeff, Jerry, and all...

I got a similar result -- my calculated feed impedance at 1825 is around 8 -j55
ohms. There are some fairly significant variables in the quality of the ground
system, exact height and amount of droop, so some adjustment range will be
needed.

The shunt capacitor across the coax connection might be as big as 3900 pF, but
is probably smaller unless you have an extensive radial system.  To handle the
current and voltage, parallel several small doorknobs or a bunch of high
voltage ceramic discs -- such as (10) 390 pF/3 kV.  (I might even send you some)

The coil in series with the antenna might be anywhere from 5 to 9 uH, depending
on the exact height and any effects of nearby object. Coils are easy to tap, so
just wind about 20 or 25 turns of bare copper, spaced about 1-1/2 wire
diameter, on a 2-1/2" or 3" plastic pipe -- black ABS pipe is electrically
transparent, but PVC is OK at 160M, too. You can also lengthen the horizontal
part of the antenna and make the coil smaller (lower loss). Somewhere around
150 feet, no coil is needed, just the capacitor. Higher is better, too.

73, Gary
K9AY