[SECC] NAQP RTTY AA4LR Single Op LP

Subject: [SECC] NAQP RTTY AA4LR Single Op LP
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:34:08 -0400
                     North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

    80:   38    24
    40:   97    34
    20:  105    38
    15:   69    32
    10:   34    19
-------------------
Total:  343   147  Total Score = 50,421

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m (40m-10m)
80m doublet at 10m (80m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)

Equipment
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 50 watts (with supplemental cooling
fan)
Steam-powered Toshiba laptop
N1MM and MMTTY

Comments:

A personal best in the NAQP RTTY! My goal was to make 50,000 points
and perhaps 120 mults. Rate wasn't quite as good as I had expected,
but certainly made up for it in mults. 10 meters! At the bottom of
the sunspot cycle, 10 meters was a pleasant surprise.

The high bands were remarkably short at the start of the contest. I
may have spent too much time on 10 and 15m before moving to 20m in
retrospect, as 20m was going long when I got there around 2000z.

CQing was only modestly productive. Part of this may be the 3 dB
disadvantage I have with the K2/100. Even with supplemental cooling,
the K2 is only good for about 50 watts on RTTY. The supplemental fan
worked well, as the internal fan only came on intermittantly.

Only took one off time, at 2258z. This turned out to be a good
strategy, as the Rate really dropped in after 0400z. Was surprised at
the few stations on 40m at 2330z.

Worked several five-banders: N0NI, KE9S, N2WK, W3LL. Managed to find
my teammates K1ZZI and K4DLI on several bands, but didn't hear Tad
WF4W. Hope he made it on the air. Funny that the last station I
worked was KO1H -- I had heard him on several other bands, usualling
S & Ping ahead of me. Glad to get the RI multiplier on one band.

The only state I lack a confirmation for RTTY is Nevada. Did not work
a single Nevada station during the NAQP. Does no one in NV run RTTY?

Was surprised at the number of stations calling CQ who were completel
DEAF. Even though they showed good signals at my station, they would
CQ in my face when I (or even others) called. Perhaps they were too
busy with the second radio, or were on a bathroom break. I suspect
they weren't listening to their receive audio -- because they should
have heard people calling.

Had great fun! Can't wait for the next RTTY contest.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at: http://www.hornucopia.com/
3830score/