[SECC] NAQP

Subject: [SECC] NAQP
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:20:28 -0400
On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:59 PM, ku8e wrote:

> The real reason for creating the NAQP was to have a contest that
> would replace the CD parties. The NAQP was also unique is that it
> was the only USA domestic contest where everyone could work each
> other on all the bands - 160-10 meters (like the CD Party) The idea
> of running 100 watts was just something that was written into the
> rules.

Bill Fisher's recollection from 1998 was similar to this, but he
differs slightly.
See here: http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/
1998-08/msg00082.html

"KZ2S and I drafted those rules  originally, and then I thought 150w
made sense. However, a very  good competitor mentioned to me before
the contest that he was going to use his amps to reach 150w output.
Geeezz... that's not what was intended.  150w was intended to cover
all radios at the time.  Ya, some might get 110w, some might get 90w,
but the idea was/is that this is a contest without amplifiers."

I trust Bill's interpretation here. The NAQP rules were changed in
1999 to the current wording to prohibit external amplifiers.

> It wasn't the reason for creating the NAQP. I think the KW vs 100
> watt debate even occured back then.

According to Bill, running barefoot was an important consideration.

> As far as I know there is not another domestic contest that you can
> work everyone on all the bands. Plus there are NO domestic contests
> that you can run a KW and work everyone on all the bands.

I guess the sprints don't count because it's only three bands?

There is one domestic contest where you can run a kW and work
everyone on all bands:

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901