[SECC] Promotion of GQP 2008

Subject: [SECC] Promotion of GQP 2008
From: larry.k4pic at gmail.com (Larry Phillips K4PIC)
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:32:12 -0500
John is absolutely on the money! I would like to add a couple of thoughts to
his post.

Promotion and Participation

One, I think that the plaque program, especially last year, brought in a lot
of participants.
Out of the 36 categories 33 offered a plaque to the winner and 3 categories
were offered
a certificate! Everybody would like a plaque over a certificate! Surely we
can get a sponsor
for three more plaques. Does any other QSO Party offer plaques to ALL the
category winners?
Promote the fact that the GQP is the contest that honors the winners with a
plaque.
Along with the plaque program the prize program can be expanded. I will
offer a super prize
this year to be announced later if the "prize manager" gives his ok. I will
try to get this approved
by the end of the year if I can find out who is doing that now.

Two, I noticed that the SECC web site has changed a little. There is no
mention or link to the GQP
on the home page. How about a nice banner promoting the GQP on the home
page. That is the first
page anyone gets when they visit the site. Most organizations that support a
state QSO party will
have something on their web site's home page about their QSO Party, even if
it is just a banner.
Maybe the SEDXC can do the same since they are a co-sponsor.

Three, It would be nice if there was an insert to include with outgoing QSL
cards (individual and club)
that promote the GQP and list the categories. DX stations do participate in
GQP and they really love
those plaques (right Mike?). I would like to see more DX participation and
the plaques and prizes are
as good an incentive for the DX as it for the K/VE stations. If anyone knows
of overseas email reflectors
it would be helpful to post something on them as well as state side. I will
email last years winner in the
Low Power CW DX category and ask him if he will do some posting for us. He
may not like to add to the
competition though.
John, you send out a lot of QSL cards. Would it be too much trouble to add
an insert to each envelope?
This could be a year round thing.

Last, if you belong to a local club, or any club for that matter, talk up
the GQP. Two years ago the winner of
the in-state club plaque was a one log entry! A local club with
some participation from it's members could win a
plaque!  I will be working on my local club members again this year. I
hopefully will be wearing them down!

It all starts here so lets hear YOUR ideas. It seems to always be the same
people who post their opinions and
desires on the reflector. Surely there are SECC members out there who have
some good ideas. Most
important, participation in some way by everyone who wants a successful GQP.
And I'm sure that Mike would
love to have a whole bunch more logs to score. Gee, it might even take him 6
weeks to do it this year. ;-)

K4PIC

p.s. There is a hamfest in Greenwood, SC on January 12. If I can get some
flyers I will be glad to hand them out
to our SC neighbors. I sure that the vendors would let me place some on
their tables.